IDA – Research data storage
IDA enables safe storage of research data. The service is offered to Finnish universities and polytechnics, research institutes as well as projects and researchers funded by the Academy of Finland. IDA is provided by the Ministry of Education and Culture. The service is produced by CSC – IT Center for Science (CSC).
The service is intended for stable research data, both raw data and processed datasets. IDA guarantees several petabytes of storage capacity. Owners of the data decide on the openness and usage policies of their own data. The service is not intended for data containing sensitive personal data. It is not recommended to use IDA for datasets which are still actively processed.
The data stored in the service must be connected to a research project. Users may belong to one or more projects. Access to the data may be granted within the research project, for a wider group of users or data can be openly shared. The person responsible for the project applies for IDA storage space and acts as a contact person towards the service provider.
The benefits of IDA:
- IDA is a continuous service for safe research data storage, offered free of charge to universities, polytechnics and researchers working on funding from the Academy of Finland
- Research funders such as the Academy of Finland recommend and instruct the use of IDA in projects
- Collaborative projects may utilise a shared storage space not tied to a single organisation
- IDA enables storage of large volumes of data which may exceed quotas at local servers
- Data stored in IDA can be used as a part of a dataset description, which has a Persistent identifier enabling linking from e.g. related publications
- Data stored in IDA may be evaluated for digital preservation as the PAS system is launched